Hustlertwo

A Good Dev is Hard to Find

Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:30 pm

Almost a year ago, I came up with what I believe is a very solid idea for a mobile SRPG. The problem is, I do not know how to code. I have a couple friends who do but they have day jobs and don't have the time to bite off a project of this size. So I ask: does anyone know a way around this? Is there a place to go to find willing coders to partner with on a project, or do they typically all have games of their own to make and are not interested in collaboration? Or is the only way this thing will ever see the light of day if I take the time and try to figure out how to make it myself in between job and family obligations? I hate to give up on the idea but I am a bit at a loss on where to go, so any suggestions are welcome.

EICJoe

Re: A Good Dev is Hard to Find

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:06 pm

I know what you mean - a friend of mine comes up with ideas like that too, but she doesn't know how to code and doesn't even have friends who do.

She even asked me if I knew anyone and it's not really that simple. There must be some sort of crowd-sourcing site for budding coders looking for things to collaborate on or practice their skills?

I guess the thing is it's probably not as simple to make as it is to come up with the idea, which means we're into "this is a serious project" territory. Hard to get into something like that with strangers.

Good luck anyway! If I come up with anything I'll post here.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Hustlertwo

Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:33 am

Ha, crowd-sourcing makes me think of that new Takl app for getting people to do your chores. Would be a hoot to put 'code my mobile game' on there just to see how they would respond.

Thanks anyhow for the response. I do not anticipate finding an easy answer, but we have not because we ask not.

ArmCha1R23

Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:16 am

Try looking for one on Upwork and other freelance websites.

Hustlertwo

Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:33 am

Someone else had mentioned Upwork. It was way out of my price range though, or that of most other individuals I would imagine. Who just had thousands of dollars lying around to pay for the dozens or hundreds of hours needed for the job? And even if you did have it, could you possibly even make it back, much less actually make a profit? Maybe, but the odds would be against it. It would just be the digital equivalent of publishing a book with a vanity press.

p0dde

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:33 pm

I think you need one of two skills to get a project like what you are talking about to succeed. You need to be able to code or you need to be able to raise money.

If you have a strong concept start making a killer game design document and a badass business plan, and take if from there. If what you got is good and you are able to communicate it, I am sure you will be able to finde a coder. But all of this is not easy, and demands a lot of leg work.

The third option, what i choose, was to learn to code. It is not as hard as people make it, but it takes some dedication.

Return to “Games Development”