admin
Site Admin

Review(ish): Panzer Battles Demo

Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:48 pm

The year was 1997, the place an HMGS miniature convention dealer hall, and the talk of the show wasn’t miniatures at all.

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/reviewi ... tles-demo/

Bismarck

Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:08 pm

Great piece, Bill!

Strela

Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:08 am

Bill,

Thank you so much for the positive piece. We at Wargame Design Studio and John Tiller Software are happy with getting the Demo out for all to sample the game system.

We are continuing to develop and improve the series and its important we expose new players as well as previous players to the advancements we're making.

Thanks again,

David

McHugh

Wed May 17, 2017 5:02 pm

I own 18 HPSSIMS titles and before that some Talonsoft ones so I have played many of the games. I recently downloaded the Tiller demos for Panzer Battles and Napoleonic Battles.

I was disappointed in Panzer Battles as it is basically Panzer Campaigns on a smaller scale. Even the sounds are the same.

My personal opinion is that these games need improvements in graphics and sounds plus gameplay has to be streamlined. For example, I am currently playing a small scenario in Moscow 41 PBEM. The sound for tanks firing is the same one for all tanks regardless of type. I understand that for hardcore wargamers the graphics and sounds are secondary but they do add to the overall experience. To illustrate this, I recently installed a mod for Wagram and the sound for cannons firing in the mod is amazing compared to what comes with the game.

Finally, I mentioned gameplay. I have not played a lot of the games I own because of the size of a lot of the scenarios. Looking at say the larger scenarios in Stalingrad or even Bulge 44 where there are hundreds of units and hundreds of turns which makes them unplayable. Having to click on each unit, then clicking on a target unit and then clicking to fire means thousands of mouse clicks to complete a scenario and it would take months maybe even more than a year to play. The largest campaign scenario I have played is the Salerno one in Salerno 43. I took one look at the Anzio campaign with it's 275 turns and said ugh!

Regardless, as a wargamer going back to the days of Avalon Hill I hope that some changes and improvements as per my comments above will be coming.

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”