admin
Site Admin

Matrix D-Day Special + Competition [Closed]

Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:55 pm

Happy D-Day, everyone! What better way to celebrate one of the most brutal military battles of all time than by buying some cheap games about war?

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/matrix ... mpetition/

Competition is now Closed.

USNA93

Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:22 pm

I still over Operational Art of War III - and I play the Normandy scenario at 2.5 km / hex. That has been my favorite depiction because it allows me as the allies to try different landing focuses - dropping the 82nd and 101st to block the Contentin Pen or closer to Cherbourg in an attempt to seize it sooner-

Any I can be what Montey wasn't - more aggressive and attempt to break out before the PzDiv come to pen me in...

carnifex

Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:40 pm

Crusade in Europe by Microprose for the C64

http://www.arkad.nu/uploads/8b2d20cc-c9 ... 554f8c.jpg

For it's time this game was revolutionary. Real-time, great graphics, solid AI.

I've had more realistic or visceral D-Day representations since, but that was the one I look back at with the most fondness.

manassassas

Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:05 pm

It may not the best depiction (and it's certainly not the most visually appealing) but I have lots of fond memories of crouching over my computer while leading my plucky British 6th Airborne paratroopers in their attack on Pegasus Bridge in the late 1980s game of the same name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_B ... ideo_game)

It was one of my first introductions to wargaming and it probably tested my humble Spectrum 48k to its limits!

Now, all this reminiscing has left me a little bleary eyed...I wonder if I can find a download?

Admiral Eggman

Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:31 pm

My favorite, a boardgame, is Hexasim's Liberty Roads. It offers the ability to land wherever in France or Holland that you want. The systems for the actual landing are straightforward and fun to resolve. It also models the issues with Allied supply and Axis command changes brilliantly. Plus the map and counters are a thing beauty.

The Fox

Re: Matrix D-Day Special + Competition

Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:56 pm

Sometimes I still hear 'Get them to the shingle' from the first mission 'Omaha Beach' in Company of heroes.
And there is the Normandy mission in Call of Duty 2 that comes to my mind.

Wargamer4Life

Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:19 pm

My favorite game for playing a depiction of the d-day landings has always been "Close Combat: The Longest Day." It was the very first game that got me hook onto war games as well as reading the history of world war 2. The fun part of the game for me was when my troops went up against the enemy (germans) and had these awesome shoot outs especially on the maps that center around small towns. Even to this day with all the modern AAA games, I still play this game from time to time and still get a kick out of it.

dalec

Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:21 pm

I've been a pc strategy gamer from back in the days of playing Avalon Hill's Civil War, Wooden Ships and Diplomacy all on the C64 and have never been a huge fan of shooters but I remember being absolutely stunned at the representation of D-Day with Medal of Honor Allied Assault on my PC when the ramp doors opened and fire shrieked into the landing craft, this imagery is still fresh on my mind fifteen years later.

Mobeer1

Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:55 pm

Battlefield 1942 - well you did say Videogames count! A nice map that allowed vehicles, troops and fixed guns to all play a role, and you could try all different roles in one battle.

MDG1594

Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:09 am

My favorite in this area was always SPI's Operation Cobra. Not the actual landings but Patton's break-out. Very well balanced and fun to play even when losing.

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”