admin
Site Admin

Review: Cold Waters

Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:45 pm

Cold Waters is a game that is trying to tread a fine line. Whilst it stumbles in some places, for the most part it’s a game that succeeds in what...

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/review-cold-waters/

The Fox

Re: Review: Cold Waters

Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:11 pm

I
would’ve prefered two control modes one (like the current one) for evasive maneuvers and a second where you can simply set heading and depth like in Silent Hunter.
Developers already stated that the second mode will be introduced later in a patch (preview in this picture)

Herman Hum

Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:32 pm

Bismarck

Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:01 pm

Jim Cobb

Ristau

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:20 am

This looks like a good game. Is anyone around here still playing it? Any good?

Alice SeaTrawler

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:54 pm

Of course Ristau. I am playing the game often. It is really a 'remake' of Red Storm Rising so if you used to play that game before, you should like the new 3d game Cold Waters.

I personaly like many things about it;
-works on my old bi-core computer (just slightly slow at times)
-the sounds are great and immersive as hell (you can hear whales sound sometimes) pings of active sonar are just more frightening than Alice Cooper in your backyard after sunfall.
-ocean is great looking

I personaly think some stuff need some more work;

-fire on ship look plain (but may i recall that the game works on older computer?...must keep that in mind)

-seawolf sub not available (but the team is working on it as we speak!)

-no ADCAP 48 TORPEDO so you are stuck with the slow moving electric one MK 18 (if i recall correctly) or the unguided steam torpedo (pretty useless against most ships you will have to face)

-the camera have a hard time staying underwater in some case but that cannot be help i guess. I would also love to have a cam 'vantage point' ahead of my sub, so i don't have to watch it from behind so often...so i end up playing a lot of 'press f1 for view your own sub' 'rotate the mouse around' then 'press ~' to detach camera from object.

The strategic map works perfectly for it's purpose (so for me that's really not an issue).

The single mission are a way to earn your skill against a 'type' of specific encounter (that's the real reason for it). But the real test is the campain!!! You never know what you will face although missions will be given to you. Personaly i HATE the one where i have to go back to Holy Loch to get the Navy Seals...and end up having little place for torpedoes...

Also, the game is quite hard if you are new to subs... I suggest to watch some You Tube videos about it before judging the game. There is a lot, a ol lot about being able to id your target, get your weapon in position, and so on without giving away your own position to the enemy.

Overall, a great game, that need a little more love from the dev but that seems to be a question of little time now.

hope this help!

Alice

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”