admin
Site Admin

Op-Ed: We Need Friction In Digital Wargames Too

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:20 pm

Friction doesn’t get the love it should in videogames wargames. We the players are given complete, hivemind-like control over our forces -- whether it’s in real time or in the...

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/op-ed- ... games-too/

Bismarck

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:47 pm

I would definitely add DC: Operation Barbarossa's reflection of the German strife between officers and politicians to a list of strategy games with friction. By the same token, weapon platform failure ala CMANO adds friction.

Jsherfy

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:02 pm

I would love to see a system for playing tactical Civil War or Napoleonic computer games that would include more realistic command and control. Or maybe lack of control. It seems no matter what battle you read about so many unplanned things took place and that just doesn't happen in most wargame systems.

lhughes42

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Hi Charles,

Enjoyed your article. Music to our ears :-). Our game Burden of Command will have a heavy emphasis on friction, especially command and control friction. You can start to get a feel for that in this dev blog:
http://bit.ly/BoC-blog2
We draw on inspiration from boardgames like "Band of Brothers" that has a strong C&C friction element.

cheers,
Luke (lead designer)

lhughes42

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:13 pm

For those not familiar with Burden of Command Charles did a nice introduction:

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/the-bu ... ke-hughes/

RodyMetal

Re: Op-Ed: We Need Friction In Digital Wargames Too

Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:07 am

Really nice article, we need more of these type of articles which make your site special.

Kommissar Hedgehog

Re:

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:29 am

I would definitely add DC: Operation Barbarossa's reflection of the German strife between officers and politicians to a list of strategy games with friction. By the same token, weapon platform failure ala CMANO adds friction.

Barbarossa is another excellent example. It was a difficult choice between the two! I chose to focus upon Red Storm because of the way friction tied into the way turns were handled.
I would love to see a system for playing tactical Civil War or Napoleonic computer games that would include more realistic command and control. Or maybe lack of control. It seems no matter what battle you read about so many unplanned things took place and that just doesn't happen in most wargame systems.
You and me both. There was a suggestion on another site in particular of a first person Napoleonic wargame where you are tied to your commander's character and direct the battle from that view, with any hill, smoke or fog impeding your knowledge of the situation.
Hi Charles,

Enjoyed your article. Music to our ears :-). Our game Burden of Command will have a heavy emphasis on friction, especially command and control friction. You can start to get a feel for that in this dev blog:
http://bit.ly/BoC-blog2
We draw on inspiration from boardgames like "Band of Brothers" that has a strong C&C friction element.

cheers,
Luke (lead designer)
I'm very eager to see what you guys have in store for us! :)
AKA Charles Ellis

Kolbex

Re: Op-Ed: We Need Friction In Digital Wargames Too

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:23 pm

So, guys, there IS a Napoleonic (and also American Civil War) game with a first person restriction (if you choose), orders delay by in-game courier, etc. It's called Scourge of War. There is both Waterloo and Gettysburg.

On the operational level, there is an old (but still being updated!) Napoleonic game called Campaigns on the Danube 1805 & 1809 that is turn based but includes an option to only be able to see the enemy (and your own troops, maybe?) via "reports," which also take a realistic amount of time to travel across the map, depending on how far away from their origin your HQ is. Your orders take the same amount of time to travel back to your units.

In the real-time arena, there is Command Ops 2, which models orders delay and allows you to give orders through AI subordinates who handle things. I would absolutely love to see more games like this, as most games just don't do anything at all in the way of "simulating" war or command, in my opinion.

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”