patgarret77

Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:01 am

What's the game in the headline image? Looks like Unity of command with Order of Battle...not really sure

EICJoe

Re:

Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:09 pm

What's the game in the headline image? Looks like Unity of command with Order of Battle...not really sure
You're close :) It's the not-yet-released Unity of Command 2!
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Vorenus81

Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:35 am

I'd rather put Order of Battle here instead of Panzer Corps 2.

EICJoe

Re: <t>The Wargamer’s Guide to… The Best WW2 Strategy and War Games</t>

Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:24 am

Minor update today - removed Atlantic Fleet because we now have a dedicated list for naval war games.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

UrosL

Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:59 am

Blitzkrieg (1) should also be on this list IMHO. :)

bardosy

Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:21 pm

Alright, I give in - I added a Combat Mission game! :P
Thank you!

CrazyOkie

Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:45 pm

Unity of Command is the best of what's on the list. The GUI in particular doesn't get enough praise. I'm tired of war games (yes, Mr. Grigsby, I'm looking at you) that have simply awful interfaces. It feels like you spend more time fighting the interface than pushing units around.

KnirkeDK

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:57 pm

Men of war : assault squad 2 - the people who developed that game are working on something new. you mentioned "If we ever see a new Men of War game, it will be world-class."

turns out theres a game coming out soon called "Gates of Hell" they have steam page and also theres Some videos on youtubes. they dont show much of gameplay mechanics. just how pretty it looks..

great list , ive certantly have my eye on a few games i have yet to try out. thank you

McHugh

Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:20 am

Not sure about lumping tactical with strategic wargames but for tactical combat games, it is no contest, the Combat Mission series is the best of the best. As far as I know it is the only computer wargame where you have the option of playing it real time or pbem. Plus the pbem is not server based.
I have been playing this series since the original Combat Mission games came out 20 years ago and they keep getting better and better. You can set it at whatever level of realism you want and I play it at Warrior level which is one down from the most realistic level. It has the best replay of any tactical wargame as you can view the action from any angle and any part of the battlefield you want. Although there are some decent tactical games like Close Combat they are real time only which means you have the issue of finding a time that works for you and your opponent, connecting up, plus with real time you're always going to miss some of the action on the battlefield.
Check out the videos on You Tube of game play for Combat Mission and you will be impressed.
I currently have Combat Mission Battle for Normandy, Combat Mission Fortress Italy, and Combat Mission Final Blitzkrieg. I'm also playing one of the battles in the demo for the just released Combat Mission Shock Force 2 and 21st century weaponary is deadly to say the least.

proflui

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:21 pm

Why no one mention War in the Pacific AE here? The game is unique, big and addictive!

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”