Talorgan

Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:46 pm

He's dead, Talorgan.
Damn

And I just gave them the excuse they needed for a whole other review.

ltgentanz

Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:03 am

Bros. I love this site and visit often.

Rehashing the same articles with a few words or link is pretty boring. Why not do an AAR with people writing on the site? Post an historical article from time to time?

EICJoe

Re:

Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:28 am

Bros. I love this site and visit often.

Rehashing the same articles with a few words or link is pretty boring. Why not do an AAR with people writing on the site? Post an historical article from time to time?
Hey Ltgentanz,

I do hear you - all I can really say is that it's a "google thing", and just ask for some patience. Because of what we're doing, for every person who comes to a refreshed list thinking "oh I've seen this", there is at least one new person coming to the list for the first time... but that only happens if we keep the articles maintained.

I know it's not great for existing regulars - I do try and prevent a refresh being the ONLY thing that happens in a day, but the success of that strategy varies by website right now. I think I will leave it longer in-between refreshes for certain articles that don't need any more help going forward and delay things a bit more, see if that's better.

Again, thank you for being a loyal reader and I hope you can be patient with us - we're trying to survive in a very difficult world.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

ltgentanz

Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:35 pm

Thank's for the response and I understand where you are coming from. There are some youtube personalities like Jive Turkey or the german guy from the Military History Revised channel. They both at least Jive are avid wargamers. Reaching out to their groups could be a boost in readership and viewership for them. A mutual understanding? They seem like pretty solid dudes too. I know this particular genre is rough to flourish in and am not bashing what you guys do at all. Just think something for the readers to engage in would be cool from time to time. After all we are wargamers and engaging is pretty much what we do! Really looking forward to PC2 and like the read ups.

Many Cheers!

GaryDickson

Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:54 pm

Action Stations is still one of my favorite naval wargames.

arich1

Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:48 pm

Naval Action, an Age of Sail game on Steam, is notable for it's graphics and things like sails waving in the wind while sailing. https://store.steampowered.com/app/311310/Naval_Action/

CaptainKoloth

Re: <t>The Wargamer's Guide to...The Best Naval War Games</t>

Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:40 pm

Jutland Pro does not belong here. Maybe it did once, but the development team has totally abandoned it (and their entire product line, including their propertiary launcher client which is needed to run their games and doesn’t work anymore). It is totally nonfunctional on any modern OS and I’m not sure given the present state of technical support it even works on Windows XP/7 anymore. Unfortunate, as it looks to once have been quite good. But you literally can’t even play it now.

EICJoe

Re: <t>The Wargamer's Guide to...The Best Naval War Games</t>

Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:26 pm

Jutland Pro does not belong here. Maybe it did once, but the development team has totally abandoned it (and their entire product line, including their propertiary launcher client which is needed to run their games and doesn’t work anymore). It is totally nonfunctional on any modern OS and I’m not sure given the present state of technical support it even works on Windows XP/7 anymore. Unfortunate, as it looks to once have been quite good. But you literally can’t even play it now.
Thanks for the heads up! We'll look into it and, if there's definitely nothing to be hone, we'll remove it.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

kondor999

Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:44 am

Wow, you really blew it by not highlighting Carrier Battles 4 Guadalcanal. I'm a 30-year grognard on the subject (my grandfather served with the Seabees there), and that is the best game on the subject I've ever played - board or computer. It's also the most interesting period of the Pacific War, because the two sides are evenly matched. On either side of this period, it's either a one-sided blitz against ill-prepared Allied forces, or slaughtering hordes of ill-trained Japanese rookie pilots until the inevitable collapse/mop-up operation. But Mid-42? Both sides had a real chance to win, and that's what makes this game (and the underlying historical period) fascinating. If you have an iOS device and even the tiniest interest in wargaming or the underlying subject matter, the game is an *absolute* must-have.

EICJoe

Re:

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:18 pm

Wow, you really blew it by not highlighting Carrier Battles 4 Guadalcanal. I'm a 30-year grognard on the subject (my grandfather served with the Seabees there), and that is the best game on the subject I've ever played - board or computer. It's also the most interesting period of the Pacific War, because the two sides are evenly matched. On either side of this period, it's either a one-sided blitz against ill-prepared Allied forces, or slaughtering hordes of ill-trained Japanese rookie pilots until the inevitable collapse/mop-up operation. But Mid-42? Both sides had a real chance to win, and that's what makes this game (and the underlying historical period) fascinating. If you have an iOS device and even the tiniest interest in wargaming or the underlying subject matter, the game is an *absolute* must-have.
We mainly focus on PC games here, which is why it's not in the main list. You'll note it's mentioned in the first section, though, as you're right it is a good game. If and when it comes to PC, it'll be promoted to the main list and it'll get a dedicated write up. We've covered it more on our mobile website, Pocket Tactics.
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”