admin
Site Admin

Pewterpocalypse: 3D Printing in Table-Top Wargaming

Wed May 30, 2018 11:39 am

One of the things I noticed at the last convention I attended, Cold Wars 2018, was the growing presence of vendors hawking tanks and other vehicles produced by 3D Printing...

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/pewpocalypse/

absolutmauser

Wed May 30, 2018 1:07 pm

"...the next 10 ??? 20 years could be a bit of a bumpy ride."

Wow, take it easy there, Nostradamus! Disruptive technology may impact current business models in the next two decades!? Are you sure you want go on record with such an aggressive prediction??

EICJoe

Re:

Wed May 30, 2018 3:37 pm

"...the next 10 ??? 20 years could be a bit of a bumpy ride."

Wow, take it easy there, Nostradamus! Disruptive technology may impact current business models in the next two decades!? Are you sure you want go on record with such an aggressive prediction??
#YOLO
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

hmgs1@hotmail.com

Re: <t>Pewterpocalypse: 3D Printing in Table-Top Wargaming</t>

Wed May 30, 2018 9:11 pm

Absolutely, and I cut it down from 50! Didn't want to stick my head out too much, particularly since I heard GW had already contracted Ninjas to deal with anyone or anything that threatens their business model.

Seriously, the Perry's have not been able to make an impact with their plastics yet (and I got burned about a short prediction on that one), and in general change seems to happen a lot more slowly in the miniatures wargaming hobby. Some folks over at the HMGS Facebook page are saying two years tops, with full color 3D printing obliterating the need for painting at all. My thought is that the technology might be on this timeline, but then you have resistance, acceptance and expansion . . . . well, in 1981, Hideo Kodama of Nagoya Municipal Industrial Research invented the process and the first historical miniatures specific vendor is a 2018 start up?

We will all just have to wait and see.

Colonel Bill

LordAshram

Thu May 31, 2018 10:32 am

Interesting write up, and thanks for the shout out!

We obviously believe that there is a serious future with 3D printing... it allows such customization of orders, and allows us to put together some strange, low-number things because we don’t need to sell $xx,xxx to make it worthwhile!

One correction of sorts... our wait time is realistically more like a month:(. While we hoped for less, a combination of high demand, production changes and speed bumps, and real life interfering has thrown us back by a bit:)

Oh, and something we are adding to the lineup? A entire role playing line... we figure most players would enjoy having themselves as their own character!:)

Thanks!

hmgs1@hotmail.com

Thu May 31, 2018 11:24 am

Yes, your partner said the same thing over on the HMGS Facebook page. FWIW I pulled the "two weeks" from one of your posts on TMP.

Oh wait, are you Michael or GP?

Regards, Colonel Bill

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”