admin
Site Admin

Steel Division Heads East – Steel Division 2 Announced

Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:33 pm

Eugen Systems have just announced a sequel to their real-time tactical WW2 war game, Steel Division: Normandy ’44.

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/steel- ... announced/

Vorenus81

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:22 am

I've got mixed feelings about this. Does it mean they consider Steel Division as a complete game for now ? I think, there's still much room for improvement especially in solo campaigns.
I'm afraid soviet divisions will not have enough variety in their equipment to allow for different play styles. It will be endless stream of T-34 and SU...with some KV here and there, rolling across battlefield after Katyusha's rocket barrages.

EICJoe

Re:

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:36 am

I've got mixed feelings about this. Does it mean they consider Steel Division as a complete game for now ? I think, there's still much room for improvement especially in solo campaigns.
I'm afraid soviet divisions will not have enough variety in their equipment to allow for different play styles. It will be endless stream of T-34 and SU...with some KV here and there, rolling across battlefield after Katyusha's rocket barrages.
I don't think it's a question as to whether they think SD 1 is 'complete' or not - I don't think it sold/performed as well as they hoped it would, so it's a question of what next step makes the most business sense? Quite often it's just jumping straight to a sequel, which is what they've done.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Vorenus81

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:54 am

For sure it's a good decision businesswise, but for customers like me, who bought this game just recently, it's a signal that developer it's abandoning further development of the game and moving all resources to make a sequel.
I would hope that they will follow CA example with Rome II and support the game, years after release, but I feel that's not going to happen...
Well, let's hope this dynamic campaign will offer some unique wargaming experience. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

EICJoe

Re:

Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:59 am

For sure it's a good decision businesswise, but for customers like me, who bought this game just recently, it's a signal that developer it's abandoning further development of the game and moving all resources to make a sequel.
I would hope that they will follow CA example with Rome II and support the game, years after release, but I feel that's not going to happen...
Well, let's hope this dynamic campaign will offer some unique wargaming experience. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
From what I remember, plenty of the Wargame games were supported after the next one was released. Support was dropped eventually, of course, but it kept going for a while.

The thing with Rome II though is that it's proven surprisingly successful and resilient, even after all this time. People still keep buying it and keep playing it so CA would be silly not to support it. I don't think you can say the same for Steel Division.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”