admin
Site Admin

Total Warthenticity: How Thrones of Britannia is (surprisingly) true to the period

Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:59 pm

When you think of the Creative Assembly’s Total War series of computer warGAMES, the first thing you think of is the incredible eye candy, both in graphics and animation.

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/total- ... henticity/

Vorenus81

Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:24 am

You have sparked my interest in this game with this article. Everything that makes game more historically accurate and realistic is right up my alley.
However, as a long time TW player I know that their battles are based on basic
rock-scissor-paper formula (spears good vs cavalry but weak vs swords etc.)
If there's less unit variety in ToB (which is historically accurate and I'm perfectly fine with that) I presume the r-s-p formula should not be applicable anymore ? How do the battles play out now ?
In previous titles the best way to win was to employ basic hammer and anvil tactics (attack them in the center with your heavy infantry/phalanx and than
encircle them with your cav/skirmishers and voila - you won). Did they manage to change something in this respect ?

hmgs1@hotmail.com

Re: <t>Total Warthenticity: How Thrones of Britannia is (surprisingly) true to the period</t>

Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:05 am

Seriously, outside of putting your best quality troops in the center, there is little to do but charge, and this is historically accurate from the reading I've been doing. These are slightly organized mobs going at it, with maneuver tactics never surpassing the Neanderthal 101 stage. Otherwise, you'll just need to experiment. I could not find a definitive catch all, but you are correct, with so little horse and missiles (well you might find some armies bring a trebuchet along for the festivities), rock-paper-scissors doesn't work.

Ciao, Colonel Bill

Roper

Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:34 am

I disregarded this game seeing the initial community response to it at release, but after this article, I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it for a sale. Thank you for the great read.

hmgs1@hotmail.com

Re: <t>Total Warthenticity: How Thrones of Britannia is (surprisingly) true to the period</t>

Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:49 pm

You're welcome. Interestingly enough, a lot of reviewers slam TOB for exactly the reasons I like it. They complain that the opposing armies have little variety or difference between them. Well, duh. That's the way the armies actually were genius, so change them and I won't like it because its not historical.

Moral of story? When ever you read a review and the author doesn't like something, make sure the criticism is real and not simply his own personal prejudices, eg, "well that's not the way I like it or would have done it, so it must be wrong."

Ciao, Colonel Bill

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”