admin
Site Admin

Review: John Tiller's Seven Years War

Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:17 am

Its always nice to get an Email from John Tiller Software (JTS) announcing a new computer wargame, and a recent message had me forking over my hard earned $39.95 faster...

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/john-ti ... years-war/

rahamy13

Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:29 pm

Thanks for the review Bill. A note on the User Manual (and Main Program Manual for that matter)...both are Series based, so they apply to every game in the series. This is the same for every series we have. It just sticks out a bit more here as the topics are widely separated in time. The documentation has been updates for the newest changes, and more games are coming - so it will continue to do so...but there will always be REN content in there. By contract the Getting Started, Notes, Operations and SYW for Nap Players PDF's are all specifically focused on the SYW.

tdavie

Re: <t>Review: John Tiller's Seven Years War</t>

Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:12 am

As a little hint/tip to brand new players - *turn on divisional colours*. It makes staying in command/control much easier. And in case new players would ever wonder - if a cavalry unit is out of command range, it is considered detached. And then that nice long sweeping flank attack you've planned goes nowhere :)

Tom

AP514

Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:25 pm

If John would only put in some time to improve the AI..
It seems He/They keep cranking out content but have not worked seriously on AI in years..

A real shame.....

What ever happened to the good old days where Graphics were not that great.
So, AI made the game.

AP514

tdavie

Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:13 pm

I've been playing the game pretty solidly since purchasing this and Republican Bayonets (which I haven't gotten to yet). Most of the time, the game are spent playing on a 28 inch monitor; although I've played it on 43 inch TV my old eyes make that out ass being a tad too fuzzy. I love the game and only have a few small niggles;

-the 1757 campaign seems to have it's structure broken (at least on my install). After playing the first 2 scenarios there is an error reading a subsequent file no matter which option I choose. I can play the battles manually and can figure out which scenario should follow which by using the campaign editor or reading a history book - but I shouldn't have to do this.

-hot keys? there aren't enough. I would like to see user configurable choices

-quite often there is no indication which side will give the optimal experience .vs. the AI. Sometimes choices result in the AI doing nothing at all or just dithering about uselessly

-the unit and hex area info box? I would like to see it detachable so I can place it on another monitor and have nothing but the map and toolbar fullscreen (selecting a unit or clicking on a hex will adjust the info box as appropriate on the other display.

But overall I'm having a blast with this game, and for the meantime it has replaced Civilization 6: Rise and Fall as my goto game.

Tom

lazer

Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:44 pm

Nice game.But after a download of an update I can not play.So big problem access. A to see for later. Les buttons and flags larger would be better to make his choice and know where are my armed forces.

________________________________________________________________________________________________
Minecraft Pocket Edition Google Play Services Counter-Strike
Last edited by lazer on Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enaris

Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:16 am

Lazer, please get in touch with jts support at support@johntillersoftware.com

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”