admin
Site Admin

Review: Commands & Colors: Ancients

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:44 pm

Well, it's finally here, so those who waited with bated breath can relax. “It,” of course, being HexWar’s Commands & Colors Ancients, a computer version of the wildly successful GMT...

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/review- ... -ancients/

DeRuyter66

Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:01 pm

Nice review Bill. I would point out one aspect of the game that garnered some negative reviews on Steam was the lack of any multi-player capability. It appears to be player v AI only which is a shame really.

Wasp

Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:10 pm

???there is no documentation on how to physically play this boardgame on computer???

I presume the reviewer has an earlier version. I???ve just started this and there is an on-going tutorial appearing on screen between each phase explaining what to do next.

hmgs1@hotmail.com

Re: <t>Review: Commands & Colors: Ancients</t>

Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:35 pm

Actually, no, I mentioned this, (quote) "And the mentioned tutorial seems to be pop-up explanation boxes that randomly appear as you play a regular game, nothing more." I have attached an image displaying same.

In this case what I mean is that there is no scenario titled Tutorial and no documentation that indicates when you run your first battle, any battle, there will be pop-ups along the way to guide you. Also, the "tutorial" seems to tell you what should happen at a certain point, as does the included boardgame manual, but not how to physically perform the function. So on Momentum Advance, there is nothing to say I should drag or drop the unit, or simply click on the relevant hex to initiate advance after combat. The most glaring issue to me was the fact that although the AI auto-moves from the Card Selection to the Order Phase, there is nothing to tell you that when you want to move from the Order to the Movement Phase (or from Movement to Battle) you have to click on that little Balanced Scales icon to do so. There is nothing to identify what that little icon does unless you happen to click on it at the right time.

The intent is there, but not the actual procedure to implement the intent . . . unless, of course, I completely missed it.

Colonel Bill

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApgpMFWnel8AiNlPEobSwvHE1UK4Jw

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”