admin
Site Admin

Review: Clad in Iron: Sakhalin 1904

Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:33 am

Totem’s naval wargaming series occupies a particularly niche-y corner of an already niche hobby. For those enamoured by the sight of sail and smokestack in the era of the ironclad...

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/clad-in ... alin-1904/

Jack Adlevankin

Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:27 pm

For the game there are several tutorial videos on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5kQeO ... dwg/videos). They can greatly simplify learning the basics of the game. Here are simple and clear rules. To figure out you need to start playing and read all the tooltips.
I do not agree that this is an alternative historical scenario. No more than any scenario in which the beginning of the game captures the historical situation. In this case, almost any war game is an alternative history.
I have a Russian official history of the Russo-Japanese War (the book was published in 1910). What I see on the map in the game does not contradict this book. In general, a small war was fought by the Japanese and the Russians in the north:

August 7, 1904 battle of the cruiser "Novik" from Port Arthur against the Japanese cruisers "Tsushima" and "Chitose".

On August 8, 1904, coastal settlements of Sakhalin Island were shelled by Japanese gunboats.

On August 24, 1904, a Japanese landing force with 2 armed transports (displacement of about 6,000 tons) unsuccessfully attempted to blow up the cruiser "Novik".

June 24, 1905, the landing of the Japanese troops at the fort Korsakovsky. Fight of the Russian coastal battery and seven Japanese TB destroyers.

On July 10, 1905, the Japanese (1 cruisers and 2 destroyers) bombed the post Alexandrovsky settlement.

On July 11, 1905, the Japanese landed near the De-Kastri settlement.

On July 13, 1905, the action took place at the Russian observation post at Cape Lazarev (2 Japanese TB destroyers, 1 company of Russian infantry, 2 Russian guns, and Russian torpedo launches from Nikolaevsk).

July 31, 1905 2 Japanese TB destroyers bombarded Lazarev Cape. An attempt to land the troops repelled by the Russians.

Perhaps there were other clashes, but I do not know about them.
P.S. Thanks for the good review of a good game!

totemgames

Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:53 am

"Clad in Iron could use a frustration satiating "table flip" mechanic too if youre listening, Totem" - we heard, but did not understand. Explain, please.

EICJoe

Re:

Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:23 am

"Clad in Iron could use a frustration satiating "table flip" mechanic too if youre listening, Totem" - we heard, but did not understand. Explain, please.
I believe in Table-Top Simulator, you can actually 'flip' the table, send the pieces everywhere.

I think it was a slight joke, since Sakhalin also uses a table-aesthetic for the strategy layer. If the war isn't going your way, you 'flip' the table and send the components everywhere!

It's mean't to be quite therapeutic :P
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

totemgames

Re: <t>Review: Clad in Iron: Sakhalin 1904</t>

Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:33 pm

Oh, I see... Tnx! :D

JoeF

Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:41 am

@JACK ADLEVANKIN
I'm glad you liked it! I considered it alternative history due to the scope of the conflict in the north as presented in the game. Aside from occasional probing and chasing down the Novik, nothing heavy occurred until 1905, which goes beyond the turn limit of the game. I was happy to see such liberty taken, as I've never been presented with this kind of scenario in a game before, but I think my blurb stands. I would be interested in taking a look at your source though, it is always fascinating to look at near contemporary reports. Can I have it's information?

As for the youtube tutorials, I did give them all a look while trying to figure out the game. None of the 4 videos about Sakhalin had any narration or teaching of any type, though I did deduce some tips about aiming the torpedoes from them. A more engaging tutorial would have gone a long way to making the learning easier. In the end I'm happy to say I figured it out and enjoyed myself, but the process could have been smoother.

@TOTEMGAMES
It was merely a joke! EICJOE explained it well. I had good fun with the game. Losing multiple cruisers due to my own poor positioning and accurate enemy torpedoes does a number on one's patience, though :)

Jack Adlevankin

Re:

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:34 pm

2 JoeF\

1. The official history of the Russian-Japanese war (part 9). Unfortunately in Russian. I read in Russian. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Fb5Go6 ... sp=sharing

2. All games of the Clad in Iron series have the same interface and rules. The tutorial video for the “Filipino” scenario is relevant for the “Sakhalin” scenario.

blanca12

Re: <t>Review: Clad in Iron: Sakhalin 1904</t>

Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:56 am

I believe in Table-Top Simulator, you can actually 'flip' the table, send the pieces everywhere.
Notepad++ Malwarebytes FileZilla

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”