admin
Site Admin

Review: Empires & Alliances

Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:18 pm

MGH

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:55 pm

Nice review. You hit the nail on the head too about the price putting people off. While I am a WW1 fan and game 1914 a lot with minis, I won't be paying that much money(not even including postage) for a boardgame. Also a turnoff for me is the sheer size of the maps, taking up more space than I have.

Oh and one little point - while I wasn't a member of their group back then, I know a few gamers who completed 3 or 4 full games of DNO back in the days. They still talk about it fondly.

dalec

Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:01 pm

Worth noting that this game is a very close port of the original 1981 Avalon Hill Guns of August game (same designer). New artwork and maps but the majority of the rules are the same. The CRT was redone to make it a bit more bloody so that attacks would work better than the original version.

I tried so many variants to make the original Guns of August work and to be an enjoyable simulation but it just wasn't fun. I moved onto the Lamps are going out by Compass and finally to Balance of Powers by the same company and this one hits the sweet spot.

Very nice review and well written. I'd love to read a comment from someone who has played both versions? If one already owns Guns of August is there any incentive to grab the remake and does it play better than the dull grind and massive stacks of the 80's game?

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”