admin
Site Admin

The Best American Civil War Strategy Games

Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:28 pm

Wargame Developers love the American Civil War, with its romantic notions of “brother against brother” and the development of warfare from line battles to quasi-trench warfare slugfests.

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/civil-war-games/

AndrewYS

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:13 pm

I agree about the Hexwar series. Don't let the apparent simplicity of them fool you. Some of the scenarios are a bear to win, especially on the higher difficulty levels.

I notice you left out the John Tiller series of Civil War simulations. They've recently received updates including very nice 3d graphics.

tdavie

Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:45 am

It was the recent upgrades to Campaign Gettysburg (after having already become addicted to Seven Years War) and a very enjoyable Panzer Campaigns Stalingrad purchase that led me to buy Gettysburg (and Petersburg) by JTS.

Tom

Astorre Baglioni

Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:56 am

About the "reinforcements" what about this?
http://www.grandtactician.com/thecivilwar/index.html
It looks like rather promising.

EICJoe

Re:

Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:16 am

About the "reinforcements" what about this?
http://www.grandtactician.com/thecivilwar/index.html
It looks like rather promising.
Yes that game is on our radar. Might wait for it to flesh out a bit first before we feature it, we'll see. WoR is at least playable.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

beldurax

Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:38 pm

Where in the heck is John Tiller's Civil War titles ? I'm shocked to find TOAW IV on here, but not JTS. Holy mackerel.

TokyoDan

Re: <t>The Best American Civil War Strategy Games</t>

Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:06 am

What game is that in the banner across the top of this article?

hmgs1@hotmail.com

Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:17 pm

That is Grand Tactician: Civil War, done by the same churl that did The Seven Years War.

Now a question for both our esteemed editor (and my Boss) as well as the assembled, massive brainpower of the masses on the forum. When and why did computer wargaming decline to accept the time honored, traditional military definitions of strategic, operational and tactical? The article title indicates STRATEGY games yet two offerings are clearly tactical and are defined as such in the article.

Also, if these are strategy games, are they more appropriate for Strategy Gamer vice Wargamer? In the video game world, Strategy Game means exactly what?

This is probably the nit pickiest thing every, but I am seriously curious and it has bugged me for a long time, not the least of which is I couldn't figure this out on my own.

Ciao, Colonel Bill

ferragus2

Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:25 pm

I have just signed up to say that any such list not including Sid Meyer's Gettysburg/Antietam series (still playable) is not worth taking seriously.

AndrewYS

Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:21 pm

That is Grand Tactician: Civil War, done by the same churl that did The Seven Years War.

Now a question for both our esteemed editor (and my Boss) as well as the assembled, massive brainpower of the masses on the forum. When and why did computer wargaming decline to accept the time honored, traditional military definitions of strategic, operational and tactical? The article title indicates STRATEGY games yet two offerings are clearly tactical and are defined as such in the article.

Also, if these are strategy games, are they more appropriate for Strategy Gamer vice Wargamer? In the video game world, Strategy Game means exactly what?

This is probably the nit pickiest thing every, but I am seriously curious and it has bugged me for a long time, not the least of which is I couldn't figure this out on my own.

Ciao, Colonel Bill
IMO strategic games require micro-managing economic and political factors, like the AGEOD series. That's the main reason they are my least favorite wargames.

Tactical games involve small units, like the HEXWAR series.

Operational games are what's left, like the JTS series and The Operational Art of War.

Than there's the whole other issue of realtime vs turn based.

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”