admin
Site Admin

Historicon 2019 & The Rise of the Cigar Box Battle Mat

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:05 pm

Looking last week at what to write for today, the Boss asked me if I noticed any trends in miniature wargaming coming out of HMGS Historicon 2019.

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/histor ... ttle-matt/

DeRuyter66

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:34 pm

Bill did you see the "new" style mats appearing at Historicon? The mats with tuffs of flock? Also someone is selling pre-made teddy bear fur mats? Seems people are trying to go a step further than the Cigar box style mats. I can't recall the companies involved but did see that The Wargames Company had some of the pre-flocked mats on their ESR demo table.

hmgs1@hotmail.com

Re: <t>Historicon 2019 & The Rise of the Cigar Box Battle Mat</t>

Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:53 pm

Yes, I saw them. They are made by a firm called Killing Ground out of Maryland. Take what's next with a big grain of salt because I've not personally used them, but my comments are . . .

1. Better price point.
2. Bulkier so more difficult to store.
3. Harder to get figures to stand up, particularly the smaller scales on that high grass mat.
4. OK, this one is a bit more complicated. The mats are of one terrain type as are many in the Cigar Box line. However, most battlefields are not covered by one type of landscape. Given the two maps offered have a the textured top cover, it will be very difficult to overlay them with other terrain types (fields, roads, streams) that require them to lay flat. I think the having a flat, plush mat with large sections of high grass on top might be a better solution.

Assuming I get the image code to work, how would you make a game surface like that below with a tall grass map? We'll just have to see if these guys can make a go of it, but the concept is not new as firms like Deep Cut and others have offered similar for some time.

BTW, next con you need to drop by my table of vice versa so we can put a face to the keyboard.

Colonel Bill

DeRuyter66

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:21 pm

Will do!

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”