admin
Site Admin

Oak & Iron - Naval Battles in the Age of Piracy Review

Mon May 04, 2020 3:10 pm

OK, if you are still hunkered down in pandemic mode, copious amounts of alcohol are likely part of your essential food group, especially when the ankle biters are with you 24/7.

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/oak-and ... ock-games/

Newtzilla

Tue May 05, 2020 1:07 am

What are your thoughts comparing it to Sails of Glory. I read through the rules and some items seemed streamlined, but also limiting. The biggest thing that didn't seem obvious was how the movement compared between large and small ships.

hmgs1@hotmail.com

Re: <t>Oak & Iron - Naval Battles in the Age of Piracy Review</t>

Tue May 05, 2020 1:29 pm

Actually, can't help you much there as I have never played the game nor does it ring a bell per all the conventions I attend or social media groups I'm on. I just downloaded the rules, but I have yet to peruse them.

I will say that one immediate turn-off for me personally is that it covers - yet, again - the Napoleonic period. Ever since I saw the Dutch movie The Admiral, I've been hooked on de Ruyter.

Regards, Colonel Bill

DeRuyter66

Thu May 07, 2020 2:29 pm

I have painted my Core box ships and am now working on the Men of War box. The 4th rate does indeed have all the baroque 17th century decorations to paint. The photo of Julian's (Model J Ship) models commissioned by Mike Tunez show what can be done with the models (granted he scratch built mast parts). Someday I'll have some extra cash and permission from the admiral to buy one of those works of art!!

I can't wait to play live games, maybe at Historicon, fingers crossed. I will say that I planned to do the small buccaneer type ships but now I may be getting more ships of the line.

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”