admin
Site Admin

Grand Tactician: The Civil War is shaping up to be the definitive American Civil War strategy game

Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:02 pm

Whoa! Let me say that again, whoa! Oliver Keppelmuller’s long awaited American Civil War project (the term 'game' just doesn’t do it justice) is now due for a 21st August...

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/grand- ... ly-access/

Brutalius

Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:57 am

Soon, not days but hours I will count down until this game releases...

DMO

Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:48 pm

Will there be an option to burn the US or CSA Flags after a battle defeat? Maybe tear down statues of the Generals?

DeRuyter66

Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:00 pm

Will there be an option to burn the US or CSA Flags after a battle defeat? Maybe tear down statues of the Generals?
You are thinking of a different game: War of Reconstruction. Maybe it could be a DLC with an option to actually follow the advice of General Lee and not put up statutes to the losing commanders and leaders in the first place.

hmgs1@hotmail.com

Re: <t>Grand Tactician: The Civil War is shaping up to be the definitive American Civil War strategy game</t>

Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:11 am

Ahem. Word. May not be a thread you want to start.

Now I'm off to build my first modern NATO fleet in miniature, to include the Lutjens Class Heavy Guided Missile Destroyer D-187 BMS Feldmarschal Irwin Rommel (another loser, also ahem). :)

Colonel Bill

DMO

Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:36 pm

Thanks, Derouter666, I had NO IDEA US Grant was on the losing side!

"Protesters in San Francisco, California, toppled a statue of Ulysses S. Grant, the 18th president of the U.S. who led the Union Army during the Civil War, among other monuments at Golden Gate Park on Friday."

DMO

Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:47 pm

So, according to Standartenf??hrer Bill, Union Generals = BAD, but Rommel's okay.......got it.

Just curious, how does everyone feel about the statue of Charles II in London? Good? Bad?

DeRuyter66

Re: <t>Grand Tactician: The Civil War is shaping up to be the definitive American Civil War strategy game</t>

Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:58 pm

Ahem. Word. May not be a thread you want to start.

Now I'm off to build my first modern NATO fleet in miniature, to include the Lutjens Class Heavy Guided Missile Destroyer D-187 BMS Feldmarschal Irwin Rommel (another loser, also ahem). :)

Colonel Bill
You are right one has to be careful and spell things out or they will be misinterpreted as has happened with both our responses. Mr. DMO apparently does not know the history of the statutes. Every example you give can be turned into a "whataboutism" fallacy. Sigh.

DeRuyter66

Re:

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:13 pm

Thanks, Derouter666, I had NO IDEA US Grant was on the losing side!

"Protesters in San Francisco, California, toppled a statue of Ulysses S. Grant, the 18th president of the U.S. who led the Union Army during the Civil War, among other monuments at Golden Gate Park on Friday."
Irrelevant to my post but ok. They also defaced the monument to the 54th Mass. so what does that have to do with a game about the civil war?

Let me be more specific for you. I chose my words badly. We should not be honoring traitors who led a rebellion against the United States and gave up their commission in the US Army to do it. My point was that the erection of these statutes took place long after the war in most cases. Robert E. Lee was opposed to it and said that he did not want a statute . He said that they would serve to continue the divisions in the country that needed to be healed and he was right.

The next argument is always about forgetting history, etc. But I ask you what do you think this game represents? It is one way to remember at least the military side of the civil war. There are museums to preserve the Confederate history as well, one in New Orleans and Charleston come to mind.

DeRuyter66

Re:

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:17 pm

So, according to Standartenf??hrer Bill, Union Generals = BAD, but Rommel's okay.......got it.

Just curious, how does everyone feel about the statue of Charles II in London? Good? Bad?
Charles II? I don't see why that is a problem. You must mean Charles I. Totally different because the monarchy was restored and his son Charles II became King.

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”