admin
Site Admin

Review: Drive on Moscow

Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:15 pm

Back in the days of boxed computer games I would read entire game manuals, often before booting up the game itself, constrained from essaying even ‘a quick look’ while reading.

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/review-drive-on-moscow/

Bismarck

Re: Review: Drive on Moscow

Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:38 pm

Having played Dom on the iPad for sometime, I take issue with Jeff's remarks about the lack of pincer movements. Remember the scale! Nobody at this scale can "move to the sound of the guns" in a hour or so. Envelopment is a matter of planning at the beginning of the day. Figure out where the first attack is then see which units can move to the defender's rear. If the first attack fails utterly, the second move can pivot somewhere else.

Shenandoah games punish linear thinking.
Jim Cobb

EICJoe

Re: Review: Drive on Moscow

Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:42 am

Having played Dom on the iPad for sometime, I take issue with Jeff's remarks about the lack of pincer movements. Remember the scale! Nobody at this scale can "move to the sound of the guns" in a hour or so. Envelopment is a matter of planning at the beginning of the day. Figure out where the first attack is then see which units can move to the defender's rear. If the first attack fails utterly, the second move can pivot somewhere else.

Shenandoah games punish linear thinking.
It's unfortunate but not every reviewer will like everything they come across.

Jeff's journey, a PC wargamer with no prior experience, is one that could represent a section of new platers who are also discovering it for the first time on PC. Maybe they won't get on with it either, maybe they will.

Not much as changed since the 2013 version though, so ive made sure to highlight the past coverage for a balancing perspective.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

AP514

Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:56 am

I have Just gotten this one...I like the way it plays...but a Few bugs are really putting the hurt on the game. The biggest one is where russian units can pull out of a contested hex(Battle/Enemy units in same hex)and travel 3 hexes by rail. I do not know how many times I have broken thru the enemy lines ready to capture OREL only to be blocked by the AI using this move.

the DEV's know and have found this bug and say it will be fixed next patch.
Lets hope it comes soon.

All in all I like the fast pace of the game so far..

uncajerf

Re:

Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:09 pm

I have Just gotten this one...I like the way it plays...but a Few bugs are really putting the hurt on the game. The biggest one is where russian units can pull out of a contested hex(Battle/Enemy units in same hex)and travel 3 hexes by rail. I do not know how many times I have broken thru the enemy lines ready to capture OREL only to be blocked by the AI using this move.

the DEV's know and have found this bug and say it will be fixed next patch.
Lets hope it comes soon.

All in all I like the fast pace of the game so far..
Glad you're liking it, AP514, and thanx for reading!

JRR

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”