admin
Site Admin

The Wargamer's Guide to Tabletop Simulator

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:56 pm

Someone who truly loves tabletop wargaming is very likely enjoying the fact that we are in a golden age, spoiled for choice.

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/tablet ... war-games/

dalec

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:30 pm

Wow nice article!
I have been tinkering with both Vassal and TTS the last few weeks wondering if some of the titles I enjoy on Vassal would run well on TTS. I tried out Age of Napoleon which has low counter density. It worked out ok but the picking up of pieces and placing is vastly different as it seems each piece moves to the air first and you have to look at the shadow to tell where it is going to end up when you finish placing. Vassal it was very easy just to slide a unit from area A to B.

My son plays six player Twilight Imperium and they all have a blast using TTS. Again very topical and excellent article!

libdab

Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:12 pm

You may have seen this already but there's a pretty good list of TTS wargames here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1385350436

I'm looking forward to trying some of them out :)

arich1

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:57 am

TTS has the epic Republic of Rome and also Sekigahara. I'm very tempted to try it.

I153_Chaika

Re: <t>The Wargamer's Guide to Tabletop Simulator</t>

Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:57 pm

Has there been a port of the Battlegroup series of tabletop wargames to TTS? Because I've got a couple armies for different editions of the real life game, but no real life people to play with as figurine wargaming isn't that common where I live.

hmgs1@hotmail.com

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:57 pm

I have to admit I'm just a little surprised by the article, tho trust me, its a real complicated issue and I am absolutely no saint on the issue myself.

My advice - GET'EM WHILE YOU CAN!

I took a look at some of the collections and like Scribd to a certain degree, it impressed me as copyright infringement central. I read an article on this TTS issue from a site called Rock, Paper, Shotgun (I swear, not making this up) and it seems smaller board game designers are split. Some are ready to send Cease and Desist letters (Fantasy Flight v NetrunnerDB), but most are willing to ignore the illegalities because a) they don't have the resources to pursue litigation and b) its defacto free advertising, not to mention good customer relationship building. What the GMTs of the world think I have no idea.

What I do know is that I saw a number of Bolt Action, Warhammer 40 K and other miniature fan produced DLCs. I can absolutely assure you that the 800 pound gorillas of the hobby, Battlefront/Flames of War and very, Very, VERY especially Games Workshop, will be mass producing Cease and Desist memos if they haven't started already. In particular, TTS at the very least circumvents GW's maliciously expensive miniature and paint range, and let's not forget, these guys are now suing private individuals producing 3D Print copies of GW models at home for their own personal use.

I've never been a GW fan, but I don't know how I personally feel about this. I do think, however, the end may well be nigh for the fan produced DLCs, so grab them now.

Colonel Bill

I153_Chaika

Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:55 pm

My advice - GET'EM WHILE YOU CAN!

I took a look at some of the collections and like Scribd to a certain degree, it impressed me as copyright infringement central. I read an article on this TTS issue from a site called Rock, Paper, Shotgun (I swear, not making this up) and it seems smaller board game designers are split. Some are ready to send Cease and Desist letters (Fantasy Flight v NetrunnerDB), but most are willing to ignore the illegalities because a) they don't have the resources to pursue litigation and b) its defacto free advertising, not to mention good customer relationship building. What the GMTs of the world think I have no idea.

What I do know is that I saw a number of Bolt Action, Warhammer 40 K and other miniature fan produced DLCs. I can absolutely assure you that the 800 pound gorillas of the hobby, Battlefront/Flames of War and very, Very, VERY especially Games Workshop, will be mass producing Cease and Desist memos if they haven't started already. In particular, TTS at the very least circumvents GW's maliciously expensive miniature and paint range, and let's not forget, these guys are now suing private individuals producing 3D Print copies of GW models at home for their own personal use.

I've never been a GW fan, but I don't know how I personally feel about this. I do think, however, the end may well be nigh for the fan produced DLCs, so grab them now.

Colonel Bill
Yeah, it's true, some brands are very doucheb... proactive in the defense of their content. Interestingly enough, it's always the companies that tend to sell super expensive stuff, while smaller game editors and mini makers tend to let it slide.
Plus, as an enthusiastic tabletop gamer, I don't see TTS as a concurrent to buying minis and rulebooks; in fact, it has 2 big advantages for the companies making these games:
-First, TTS allows me to "scratch the itch" and play a game I like even when I don't have people to play with around. This way, I don't get discouraged by the thought that I'm just spending money for nothing, and don't stop buying minis and other game related stuff.
-Second, it allows me to pre-test armies, which helps me choose stuff.
And I'm adding a last thing I just thought about: it allows me to show these games to newcomers, so that they may start enjoying these games, and begin buying minis and rulebooks themselves.

DeRuyter66

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:04 pm

Interesting. Vassal has been around awhile, but I guess the TTS is taking this to another level. I would hope that boardgame companies would embrace TTS and go with a royalty scheme vs. a C&D letter.

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”