admin
Site Admin

The Best Ancients & Medieval War Games

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:27 am

Outside World War II, no other period of armed conflict offers as much variety and depth as does the ancient world, if for no other reason than the temporal length...

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/ancients-wargaming/

Anguille02

Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:04 pm

Nice list of games.

Here some other i enjoyed:

Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar

Celtic Kings: Punic Wars

Imperium III (= Celtic Kings III)

Robear

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:05 pm

Given that "Alea Jacta Est" is in the list, shouldn't "Aggressors: Ancient Rome" be as well? It would be nice to give a new game the same publicity to fans as an older one with the same topic and scale...

EICJoe

Re:

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:18 am

Given that "Alea Jacta Est" is in the list, shouldn't "Aggressors: Ancient Rome" be as well? It would be nice to give a new game the same publicity to fans as an older one with the same topic and scale...
It's a fair point, although that game is on one of our lists on Strategy Gamer. It's either Best 4X or Best TBS, I can't remember.

It's definition of a 'war game' is up for debate, I would argue. It's war mechanics aren't nearly as robust or as focused as AJE. I once heard Aggressors described as a jazzed-up Civilization scenario. While I did enjoy the game, I wouldn't necessarily feature it on a list about war games specifically.

I'll have a think for the next update though.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

AndrewYS

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:56 pm

There are also PC games by Hexwar, Battles of the Ancient World and Ancient Battles, Hannibal. Not great games but cheap, interesting and fun.

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”