admin
Site Admin

Review: Gallipoli, 1915: Churchill's Greatest Gamble

Wed May 08, 2019 4:05 pm

There is an old saying about the British army, that it will lose every battle in a war, except for the last one.

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/gallipo ... st-gamble/

MGH

Thu May 09, 2019 4:21 pm

While I am a WW1 fan and have read more than one book on the Gallipoli campaign plus a lot more on Turkish military history from Balkan Wars to the Caucasus campaigns, this game looks way too complicated to enjoy playing.
I even question how much it has actually been played out? Did the reviewer play out a whole game himself? I'm not being critical at all, I know I couldn't get thru it. And my local group would flee this game at first sight when they saw the rule book size.
Like the reviewer said, a niche product and I honestly hope that those who do buy it have a good time. I'd love to read an AAR on this thing.
Thank you for your review!

EICJoe

Re:

Thu May 09, 2019 4:23 pm

While I am a WW1 fan and have read more than one book on the Gallipoli campaign plus a lot more on Turkish military history from Balkan Wars to the Caucasus campaigns, this game looks way too complicated to enjoy playing.
I even question how much it has actually been played out? Did the reviewer play out a whole game himself? I'm not being critical at all, I know I couldn't get thru it. And my local group would flee this game at first sight when they saw the rule book size.
Like the reviewer said, a niche product and I honestly hope that those who do buy it have a good time. I'd love to read an AAR on this thing.
Thank you for your review!
Bill would have to chip in with regards to how much play time he actually put in, but for what it's worth he told me it was a bit of a slog when he submitted his copy. We don't do review based on little-to-no playtime though - that would defeat the point.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

hmgs1@hotmail.com

Re: <t>Review: Gallipoli, 1915: Churchill's Greatest Gamble</t>

Fri May 10, 2019 1:00 pm

1st Battle of Krithia, seven turns long sans Amphibious Assault, and has the French (I'm a Francophile). You can check it out per GMTs living rules program with the Play Book at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/gmtw ... kFINAL.pdf and the Rule Book at https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/gmtw ... sFINAL.pdf. The entire four day game is 39 turns.

FWIW I think most folks identify complexity with hyper detail and the processes needed to manage it. Gallipoli does have that, but given I cut my teeth on a miniatures rules set called EMPIRE, that is not necessarily a show stopper for me personally. The inconsistent game methodology was what made the game difficult IMHO. I've designed successful mini games and in talking with other designers there does seem to be a set of unwritten rules agreed upon for success. Make game functions simple and consistent. In other words, things like use as few dice as possible, two OK, one preferred. And then when using those dice, make sure they work the same way all the time. In other words not one die for this function, but two for this one, not DRM that modify the actual die roll number here but indicated column/row shifts somewhere else. AND NO FRACTIONS. In the game a result of 1.88 means 1 auto kill and an 89% chance of a second (which means you roll one die for the initial result, but two for the %). Instead, just make it two steps killed and be done with it. The way it is now, the game does not breed rules familiarity because functions do not all work the same way.

But, the game does work and some folks are not bothered by this at all.

Colonel Bill

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”