admin
Site Admin

Marching Eagles: Waterloo Review

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:15 pm

OK, this was a tough one. After Talonsoft tanked so many years ago, a small firm called HPS Simulations took up the mantle of John Tiller software central.

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/marchin ... -waterloo/

jeffnward

Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:21 pm

Bill,

This piece desperately needs to be proofread.

EICJoe

Re:

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:18 pm

Bill,

This piece desperately needs to be proofread.
That would be my department - I've just given it another once over. Was there something specific we missed you'd like to highlight?
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

jeffnward

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:41 pm

Paragraph 2 needs a comma after "Well"

Paragraph 2 "$24.95 digital vice $49.95 for one of the games mentioned above)" makes no sense, particularly the word "vice"

Paragraph 4 "with the AI, and movement" there should be no comma before the "and" because it's not a completely separate idea

Paragraph 5 "chrome comes in, as you can change" no comma between "in" and "as"

Paragraph 6 "tense contest because you as commander will " should be "tense contest, because you, as commander, will"

Paragraph 6 "times I need all of them" "need" should be "needed"

Paragraph 7 "Now combine that" should be "Now, combine that"

Paragraph 7 "At the beginning of the game each side" should be "At the beginning of the game, each side"

Paragraph 7 "In general these three cards" should be "In general, these three cards"

Paragraph 7 "At the beginning of the game each side" should be "At the beginning of the game, each side"

Paragraph 7 "bonus AP or two because ???Napoleon appears??? or similar." makes no sense. My best guess it is should've been "Because Napoleon appears or something similar."

Paragraph 8 "primarily for artillery, and easy to perform." should be "and is easy to perform."

Paragraph 8 "Click on a line item, a crosshair cursor appears for you to drag and drop over an eligible target and ???Boom!??? close combat occurs when your units move into an area occupied by the enemy, of which three is the maximum number that can so occupy." is an indecipherable run-on sentence.

Paragraph 9 "Really, that???s pretty much it as regards playing MEW." should be "much in regard to playing MEW."

Paragraph 9 "Interface is John Tiller style but with far fewer options." should "The interface"

Paragraph 9 "no zoom in or out, with only two maps scales" should be "no zoom in or out, and with only two map scales."

I could continue, but since I'm not getting paid to proofread this, I'm going to stop here. I'm convinced the rest doesn't get any better. This piece never should've made it to "print."

EICJoe

Re: <t>Marching Eagles: Waterloo Review</t>

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:30 am

Thanks Jeff - commas are often my weak spot. Some of those sentences needed to be broken up as well, so that was my mistake.
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

jeffnward

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:21 pm

No problem! It took 13 years of journalism to make me a decent proofreader.

AP514

Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:25 pm

OK, you liked the game but the AI ? how is it ?
I find the AI in most Tiller Games and the HPS also are dumber than a box of rocks.
So,would you say the AI is a lot better ?

leonadis

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:38 am

Hi Bill;
I am the game developer and I appreciate your constructive criticism and find your comments helpful for future development. I hope to read many more reviews from your pen.
There is one point I wish to clarify for your readers - I have a license to use shutterstock photos and there is no copyright infringement with Marching Eagles. However, I think you are right to point out it is better to remove watermarks as it may be confusing to others and the next update due soon - version 1.05 will address this issue.

Thank you again,
Paul

hmgs1@hotmail.com

Re: <t>Marching Eagles: Waterloo Review</t>

Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:52 am

I just got back from holiday, so I just saw the question on the AI.

First, a lot depends on what you call a competent or competitive AI. I played the Wavre scenario as the French. Historically the Prussians at the battle executed a holding action to ensure the rest of Blucher's army could march to Wellington's aid. In that light, the Prussians in the game acted appropriately. They held all urban areas and river crossings, and when and where the French broke through, the Prussians responded by local counterattacks. It seemed correct for the historical situation to me.

Note for this game I did not use the timer, Fog of War or the Hard difficulty level. The latter reduces the number of Command Points available, kills the Undo option for the player and allows the AI to make better tactical choices.

Colonel Bill

*Checked by Grammarly so blame them, or it, or something like that.

AP514

Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:05 pm

Well, I guess I will give this one a try.....I will post on the AI when I get a few games under my belt.....

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”