admin
Site Admin

Like... Slay the Spire? You'll Love These!

Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:50 pm

Slay the Spire is a masterpiece of game design whose only sin is that it is not currently available on a platform I can play on the bus.

http://www.pockettactics.com/guides/sla ... re-mobile/

Grudunza

Re: <t>Like... Slay the Spire? You'll Love These!</t>

Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:12 pm

Good list. DQ is still the best, IMO. Apparently there might be some new update coming for that, which has me drooling, and possibly even some new artwork (at this point I’m not sure I want that, though, as I’m so used to the stick figures). I wouldn’t say that Pirates Outlaws is a StS clone... it has enough differences to be interesting and fun, though yeah, the pay or grind structure is super annoying. Card Quest is my other favorite from this list, and feels the most unique. A bit clunky on a phone, though, but great on PC.

amandachen

Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:21 pm

Last edited by amandachen on Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheShoes76

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:54 am

Guild of Dungeoneering is similar as well.

madmax71

Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:58 pm

This is a great list while waiting for Sly the Spire for iOS (it's coming this year). One game that I think does not get the respect it deserves is Night of the Full Moon. It's a great game, similar to Slay and Dream Quest and with a very polished package. From the graphics, animations, illustrations, it looks like the work of a big publishing house. I purchased it for just $0.99, and can be play without the need of any of the DLC's offered, and it's a bargain for what you get. While I stopped playing Sly, I don't have the time to seat on my computer to play on Steam, I play Night of the Full Moon, Solitarica and the amazing Onitama, which is free and is another game that should rank higher, while I wait for Sly.

Duranki

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:37 pm

Monster Slayers on PC doesn't get enough love. I feel it's just as addictive as Slay the Spire, only it released about 2 years earlier.

Hustlertwo

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:48 pm

Although I get what you're trying to say, it seems a shame to call the games at the end Close but No Cigar since some of them are even better games than those suggested, just less directly related to StS, but that saying has the implication that they are inferior. Still, this has been a helpful article, I eventually ended up getting a couple good suggestions from it (and good advice on avoiding that FTP one).

And Dream Quest is and near as I can tell may always be the best. I'm looking forward to giving StS a chance at the title, though.
Please check out my interactive fiction comedy Nuclear Powered Toaster, available on iOS, Google Play, Steam and Amazon!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... redtoaster

EICJoe

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:56 am

Although I get what you're trying to say, it seems a shame to call the games at the end Close but No Cigar since some of them are even better games than those suggested, just less directly related to StS, but that saying has the implication that they are inferior. Still, this has been a helpful article, I eventually ended up getting a couple good suggestions from it (and good advice on avoiding that FTP one).

And Dream Quest is and near as I can tell may always be the best. I'm looking forward to giving StS a chance at the title, though.
That's a fair point - I'll look at renaming that H2 if this get's updated again (will be a couple of months though, most likely).
"Determining the appropriate level of influence in somebody else's war is never a simple matter."
- Special Circumstances

Editor-in-Chief
Wargamer.com
PocketTactics.com
StrategyGamer.com

MadRobotGames

Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:43 pm

There are more similar games:

Second Second (I had a problem with Android version and could not play it on mobile and developer did note responded but I watched gameplay and battle is unique and I liked)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... condSecond

Spellsword Cards: Demontide (more like hearthstone style combat than other game mentioned above. it's also very similar to the game I am making. I really like this one)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .demontide

Lophis Roguelike (It's not the best but you can play if you finished others. There is also a pro version which I got it when I was free)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... sroguelike

I am also making roguelike deckbuilding game that's why I am playing all similar games :)

Mgdpublic1

Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:43 pm

Royal Booty Quest is a nearly direct clone of StS on iOS. The bosses and relics often have the exact same name. It's poorly done, has no sound, etc, but you can get your StS fix. It has three other classes as well. All three StS classe unlocks have to be purchased or grinded out.

Night of the Full Moon is excellent and Origins is good too. Dimensions of Dreams brings some new ideas to the table. How that pos Meteorfall won anything, let along goty is completely beyond me. That game takes every step backwards possible in game design, all for the sake of the stupid swipe mechanic.

Return to “Pocket Tactics Front Page Discussion”