admin
Site Admin

The Complete Guide to Combat Mission

Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:12 am

The Combat Mission (CM) series stretches back some twenty years. On the surface it’s an unlikely success story.

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/combat-mission/

DeRuyter66

Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:07 pm

I bought CMBO and CM BB back in the day (on CD Rom). I really liked the WEGO system and CM itself. However every time I decided to try the new game engine I was put off by the convoluted DLC system and high price points. Their web site is not the most user friendly either! I am hoping they start releasing the WWII titles on Steam.

BullGod

Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:52 pm

You forgot to mention...
Combat Mission: Touch
for Android

but I suspect everyone forgot about that one

Leon Georgiou

Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:34 am

All valid points Deruyter66 and yes I am also hoping Battlefront bring the WWII stuff over to Steam.

Leon Georgiou

Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:37 am

You forgot to mention...
Combat Mission: Touch
for Android

but I suspect everyone forgot about that one
I also left out Campaigns :P

BullGod

Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:25 pm

I also left out Campaigns :P
Yeah, but Campaigns were never released, while Touch was :P
Wargamer even did a review
https://www.wargamer.com/reviews/combat-mission-touch/

IIKoboldKingII

Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:05 pm

Their games are definitely overpriced, but damn...I love them so much that I just cave in and buy them.

A Canadian Cat

Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:36 pm

Their games are definitely overpriced, but damn...I love them so much that I just cave in and buy them.
LOL @IIKoboldKingII by definition if you bought it then the price is not too high. Clearly the price is high there is no disputing that but the value you get is even higher. Many people have been playing one or more of these titles every day for years and years. On an per hour of play basis this is the cheapest game I have ever bought.

A Canadian Cat

Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:10 pm

Nice summary of the series @Leon. This is a useful compendium of releases and history. This will be a useful resource to refer people to.

I have a couple of comments on some specific items you mentioned.

The game engine 4.0 upgrade you called "anaemic". Clearly that is a matter of opinion and you are certainly entitled to yours. Many people did not see it that way - for instance I use Hull Down in every game I play with armour and I really really appreciate the peaking around corners feature to name just two that I use a lot (not to mention the Scenario Editor improvements). Here is a nicer summary than the readme file you lined to - plus it has additional discussion between those that were happy and those that were not: https://community.battlefront.com/topic ... thanks-bf/

The "controversy" over patches and upgrades is the silliest thing ever. Here is Steve himself being clear about what is what: https://community.battlefront.com/topic ... nt-1366300
The very worst you can say that support for the old engine is dropped without one last patch to the old engine version. OK. So? That is even a legitimate complaint but it does not equal paid patching. With the example you gave of a player with CMBN 3.12 who was experiencing a bug and that bug was fixed in 4.02 they could not get that fix without first upgrading. In the first series of CM games you didn't get any value in CMBO after CMBB was released. In the new CM2 series you can. In no world is the new upgrade policy worse than the older way where whole games were abandoned and left to fall behind. I recognize that people continue to complain about this. What I am saying is they are being willfully ignorant and it is not a justifiable position to take.

McHugh

Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:29 am

My friends and I have been playing the CM series by PBEM for 20 years. We prefer the WW 2 titles and currently have CMBN, CMFI, and CMFB. For Normandy and Italy we also have all the add on modules and updates such as the Commonwealth forces, Rome to Victory etc.

I disagree with some your comments. I think the current graphics are very good. I play at a resolution of 2560 X 1440 and it runs very smooth indeed. In our opinion the CM series is the gold standard for tactical wargames. One of the features that it has which I don't think any of the other tactical games have is the option to play in real time or turn based where the turns are in segments of 60 seconds. This allows PBEM and you can view the last turn in a replay from an position or angle on the battlefield that you want.

PBEM is so much more convenient and the game isn't a click fest like other tactical games that are real time only.

We don't mind paying the prices they charge considering the number of hours we have played and the quality of all their products. Would love to see them release a game on the Pacific theatre.

Return to “Wargamer Front Page Discussion”