Could you name all the Warhammer 40k Primarchs in your sleep? Do you spend an unreasonable amount of spare time precision-measuring distances between tiny plastic people? What about deck-building and spell-slinging in Magic: The Gathering – do you know The Stack so well, you could explain it to a five-year-old? Do you voraciously explore every sweet new tabletop RPG you can get your hands on? Yes? Good – you may be just the Chosen One we’re looking for.
Wargamer is looking to hire two new Staff Writers to work alongside its editor in a close-knit, high-output team. Knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and insatiably curious about all things tabletop and wargames – from board games, through Magic, D&D and Warhammer, to digital war games like Hearts of Iron 4 – you’ll be writing news, guides, features, reviews (and more) about all of ‘em.
You’ll need to have a solid body of experience with some or all of these games, and be hungry to expand your knowledge of the others. You also need to be able to work in a small, fast-moving team – either from home, or at our head office in Bath, UK – and be open to travelling in order to report on key industry events.
While we don’t require anything specific, other than a good knowledge of the world of tabletop gaming, we would like to see some writing examples – even if it’s on your own blog. You don’t need to know a thing about writing for SEO (though it is, of course, desirable) – but you’ll need to be ready and willing to learn that skill, as you build your online writer’s craft.
In order to apply for the job, we’d like you to submit your CV, a short covering letter explaining why you’re a good fit for the team, and a recent writing example.
Please note that this role is open to remote candidates. All applicants must be able to work UK hours (9:30am to 5:30pm GMT). It’s also worth noting that all candidates are encouraged to apply, though we’re particularly eager to hear from writers from BIPOC, LGBTQA+, and other underrepresented backgrounds. Here are the details you need to know:
Staff Writer, Wargamer
Create brilliant regular content for Wargamer, including news, features, guides, opinion pieces, and more. Generate, write, upload, and publish high-quality editorial output with a view to growing the site’s reach and enhancing the brand’s reputation.
- Daily content creation, with a focus on guides, news writing, and original reporting
- Other content creation tasks, including reviews, features, and opinion pieces
- Writing ecom and sponsored content stories when required
Uploading stories to site CMS
- Conducting interviews and transcription
- Ensuring consistently high editorial standards across all published content
- Editorial planning, including spotting and exploring content opportunities
- Attending and reporting from industry events
- Maintaining a keen eye on industry developments and competitors
- Building and maintaining relationships with PRs, production companies, publishers, community sources etc.
- Ensuring content is optimised for audience growth and discovery, and developing an awareness of best practices to facilitate this
- Adhering to our guidelines for style, tone, and SEO
- Sub-editing the work of others, if required
- Using the company’s workflow tools correctly and effectively, including Asana, GSuite, etc.
- Other as requested by the Editor
- The ability to write brilliantly, quickly, and to task across a range of disciplines
- A keen interest in tabletop and digital wargaming, board games, and tabletop gaming in general, including D&D, Magic: The Gathering, and Warhammer
- Experience writing and pitching articles
- Proficiency with basic working tools: docs, sheets, task management, etc.
- Proactivity, attention to detail, and excellent organisation
- Writing at least two guides/one guide and one news story per day (unless otherwise agreed with Editor)
How to apply
If it sounds like you are the right fit, please send a covering letter, a CV, and at least one example of a piece of written work using this link. Good luck!
Working for Network N
We’re a fun and friendly company offering an informal working environment with offices in central Bath. We are always growing, work fast but accurately, have an international reach and are nerdy as hell! We are committed to being an inclusive workplace and have various groups and events to hear underrepresented voices including Women @ Network N, Black Lives Matter, and LGBTQ+ @ Network N.
Our people make our success, so it is only fair we give plenty in return, including:
- Competitive salary
- 28 days holiday
- Birthdays off along with a birthday Amazon voucher
- Twice yearly Network N ‘No Work’N’der’ (extended weekend)
- Auto-enrolment pension (with increasing employer contributions based on years of service)
- Profit share scheme for all
- EMI scheme (after one year of service)
- Employee Assistance Programme
- WeCare 24/7 GP, mental health support and virtual wellbeing
- Vitality private health care
- Employee Benefits Choice (discounted store/gift cards)
- Tech and Cycle Schemes
- Incredible refurbished office in Bath with desk hoteling
- Employee social events, including Christmas & summer parties