Are you a proven editor, team manager, and content planner with experience managing a serious editorial brand? Are you a sharp-eyed process optimiser, an able public speaker, and a first-class people manager? Most importantly: are you a legit nerd? Like, really, though? If you answered yes to all these questions, Network N Media has the perfect job for you.
That’s right, Network N Media – parent company to Wargamer, PCGamesN, Pocket Tactics, The Loadout, and The Digital Fix – is hiring for a new Group Editor to lead the whole portfolio.
That means managing and developing all the in-house site editors; growing their teams; developing and delivering strategies to drive growth across all the sites; delivering regular SEO and content feedback to make sure we’re all doing our best work; and masterminding new site launches too.
This full-time role pays an annual salary of circa £45-55,000, and can be either ‘Hybrid’ (minimum two days a week spent in our lovely office in Bath, England) or fully remote within the UK. You will need to prove your right to work within the UK, and meet the criteria for MGT Level 4 in Network N Media’s progression framework. You have until February 26, 2023 to get your application in.
Should you be successful, not only will you have the pleasure of managing excellent colleagues like Wargamer’s editor – but you’ll also enjoy a bunch of benefits as part of Network N Media, such as 28 days holiday (plus the eight UK national holidays a year); private medical insurance through Vitality; your birthday off; and more.
The full role details are below – or you can click here to apply.
- Role: Group Editor
- Location: Fully remote (within UK only) or Hybrid
- Closing Date: February 26, 2023 (We reserve the right to close this advert early if sufficient number of applications have been received)
- Type: (Full-time, Permanent)
- Salary: Circa £45 – 55k
Working for Network N Media
We’re a fun and friendly company offering an informal working environment with offices in central Bath. We are always growing, work fast but accurately, have an international reach and are nerdy as hell! We are committed to being an inclusive workplace and have various groups and events to hear underrepresented voices including Women, Neurodiversity, Diversity and Pride.
Our people make our success, so it is only fair we give plenty in return, including:
- 28 days holiday, plus bank holidays
- Your birthday off
- Private medical plan through Vitality with enhanced mental health provision
- Auto-enrolment pension
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Discounted Gift Card scheme
- Employee social events, including Christmas & summer parties
Network N Media is one of the fastest growing media businesses in the UK and US, and owns several world-class brands including PCGamesN, The Loadout, Pocket Tactics, Wargamer, PCGameBenchmark, and The Digital Fix. We’re an ambitious and friendly company that celebrates passion, expertise, and nerdiness.
We’re looking for an experienced editor and manager to lead Network N Media’s portfolio of exciting owned media brands, including PCGamesN, The Loadout, Pocket Tactics, Wargamer, and The Digital Fix. You’ll get to manage and develop our talented in-house editors; grow our teams; develop and deploy strategies to drive the growth of our established brands, and launch new ones; and ensure that our sites are the chosen destination of gaming, entertainment, and tech fans.
You’ll ensure that our brands are coordinated across major releases and events, provide regular Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) and content feedback, represent Network N Media at external events, develop and deploy a plan to expand our coverage hours, build a scalable freelance hub to manage hundreds of freelancers, oversee and maintain the freelance budget, support in the planning of content pyramids, and attend high-level strategic meetings as part of the Network N Leadership team.
You’ll get to work for one of the fastest growing media businesses in the UK and US, in the ever evolving and interesting world of gaming, entertainment, technology, and geek culture. We have huge ambitions for our editorial brands and are looking for someone who is hungry to grow with the role and take ownership of some of our world-renowned sites.
This is the perfect role for either an experienced managing editor, or for a successful site editor to take the step up into a senior managerial role.
You will be responsible for:
- Growing our site visits, repeat visits, and pages per visit
- Daily SEO feedback and notes to brand editors on how we can improve
- Keeping abreast of and sharing with teams new insights on SEO
- Developing content distribution beyond SEO
- Ensuring all content is produced to best practice SEO and user experience requirements
- Driving collaboration between brands to make the whole greater than the sum of its parts
- Working with Publishing Director to build a team for content outside of UK office hours – to better serve US and weekend audiences
- Working with Publishing Director to create Academy – a single program to onboard and train new full-time staff writers
- Working with Publishing Director to create a freelance hub to enable us to work consistently with hundreds of contributors
- Supporting and building teams for new editorial site launches
- Building ways to drive repeat visits and lock audiences in
- Supporting the planning of key content pyramids
- Coordinating Network N Media’s content strategy across all brands, ensuring we capitalise on key events and opportunities
- Managing a freelance budget and ensuring commissioning and invoicing is carried out according to agreed processes
- Attending weekly team meetings and running weekly 1:1s with all editors
- Other as requested by the Publishing Director, Executive Chairman, or CEO
Person specification (skills, knowledge, and behaviours):
- Previous experience as an editor of a media brand (ideally in the gaming/technology/entertainment sector)
- Previous experience in editorial content management and planning
- Proven management skills, managing a team and delivering change through influence and tuition as much as direct command
- Experience of optimising content for discoverability best practises, across both organic search rankings, Discover, Google News, and other platforms
- A keen eye for detail and the ability to quickly check and audit best practice across all content
- Able to deliver presentations and undertake public speaking to a high standard, and communicate objectives, goals, and potential roadblocks to a diverse range of stakeholders
- A passionate interest in videogames, gadgets, board games, movies/TV, and all things geeky
- Proficiency with basic working tools: docs, sheets, task management software, etc
- Meets the criteria in MGT level 4 in our progression framework (https://progression.network-n.com/management)
- Must be able to produce proof of right to work in the UK by the start of employment
If it sounds like you are the right fit, please apply with a covering letter and a CV.
Please also note that this role is based either hybrid (minimum expectation of 2 days per week in Bath head office) or can be remote within the UK, with regular visits to the office as required.